In this week’s podcast, Glenn and Daniel flash back to Nacho Vigalondo‘s latest high-concept sci-fi bout, wherein Anne Hathaway is a drunkard in physical charge of a kaiju. Then we jump forward into Guillermo del Toro’s monster fairy tale, The Shape of Water, to see whether love can be what you wish between a woman and a fish (45:37).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Colossal): 8 out of 10
FilmWonk rating (The Shape of Water): 7.5/10 (Glenn), 6/10 (Daniel)
- [02:15] Review: Colossal
- [07:40] Spoilers: Colossal
- [18:53] Review: The Shape of Water
- [31:50] Spoilers: The Shape of Water
- Music for this episode is “Shake Sugaree” by Elizabeth Cotten & Brenda Evans, from the soundtrack to Colossal, and “You’ll Never Know“, as performed by Renée Fleming and arranged by Alexandre Desplat, from the soundtrack to The Shape of Water.
- For our thoughts on a previous Vigalondo film, check out Glenn’s review of Extraterrestrial.
- For the article we referenced, see, “The Strange Case of Anna Stubblefield” which has apparently gotten stranger, legally speaking.
Listen above, or download: Colossal, The Shape of Water (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play on a non-flash browser)
Pingback: FilmWonk Podcast – Episode #128 – “Phantom Thread” (dir. Paul Thomas Anderson) | FilmWonk