This week, Glenn and Daniel (and special guest Erika) dive into the first Disney live-action remake Glenn has felt any desire to watch, Mulan, a film as American as apple pie and jingoism. We also check out a pair of smaller films – a thriller melodrama debut from director Kevin Del Principe, Up on the Glass (now available on VOD), and a slow-burn romance from trans Filipina director Isabel Sandoval, Lingua Franca, now available on Netflix (01:36:58).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Up on the Glass): 7.5/10 (Daniel), 3/10 (Glenn/Erika)
FilmWonk rating (Mulan): 5/10 (Daniel/Glenn), 7.5/10 (Erika)
FilmWonk rating (Lingua Franca): 6/10 (Daniel), 8/10 (Glenn/Erika)
- [01:46] Review: Up on the Glass
- [11:00] Spoilers: Up on the Glass
- [22:00] Review: Mulan
- [46:06] Spoilers: Mulan
- [59:04] Review: Lingua Franca
- [01:35:51] Spoilers: Lingua Franca
- We mentioned a video from the excellent long-form media critic (and now NY Times best-selling author) Lindsay Ellis – that video is “Woke Disney“, and you should definitely check it out.
- We referenced an interview that Sandoval gave to James Factora at them. – you can check that out here (contains spoilers).
Listen above, or download: Mulan, Lingua Franca, Up on the Glass (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play)