On this week’s podcast, Glenn and Daniel head north of the border and into the quixotic dream of a crowdfunded mission to Mars with Shane Belcourt‘s Red Rover (which is available for streaming Tuesday, May 12), and then check out Master of None co-creator Alan Yang‘s fictionalized take on his parents’ immigrant story from Taiwan, with Tigertail, newly available on Netflix (49:30).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Tigertail): 6/10 (Glenn), 4/10 (Daniel)
FilmWonk rating (Red Rover): 7 out of 10
- [01:17] Review: Tigertail
- [26:08] Review: Red Rover
- [41:48] Spoilers: Red Rover
- The language that is referred to in the Tigertail subtitles as Taiwanese [and it appears in brackets, while Mandarin Chinese appears without them] is also known as Taiwanese Hokkien, and while we picked up on a bit of the linguistic and political subtext in the film, the reality was obviously a bit more complex than could be conveyed in a film in which it was a minor detail.
- Check out the article from Matter that we excerpted in brief:
“All Dressed Up For Mars and Nowhere to Go” by Elmo Keep
Listen above, or download: Tigertail, Red Rover (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play)