CW: Mental health issues
This week on the FilmWonk Podcast, Glenn and Daniel find themselves in another February streaming season, as a trope-subverting rom-com drops on Prime Video with Dave Franco and Alison Brie’s new film, Somebody I Used to Know. But first, we check out a 2022 selection we missed, Aftersun, a father-daughter drama from director Charlotte Wells, making her feature debut to great acclaim (including several Best Director awards, and the DGA nomination for best first-time feature film) (58:50).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Aftersun): 9 out of 10
FilmWonk rating (Somebody I Used to Know): 6 out of 10
- [02:01] Review: Aftersun
- [18:59] Spoilers: Aftersun
- [24:51] Review: Somebody I Used to Know
- [42:50] Spoilers: Somebody I Used to Know
- Cloudy With a Chance of Christmas is actually not on Hulu; it was a Lifetime film, and is available on Lifetime’s standalone streaming subscription, or as a paid rental.
- As promised, here is a list of the rom-coms Daniel watched over the holidays:
- Puppy Love for Christmas -8.5
- Merry Textmas – 5.5
- Cloudy with a Chance of Christmas – 7
- Mistletoe in Montana – 4
- Hanukkah on Rye – 9
- Time for Him to Come Home for Christmas – 6.5
- Thank you for listening.
Listen above, or download: Aftersun, Somebody I Used to Know (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play)