This week, Glenn and Daniel return to the character-based madcap silliness from the minds of Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo, as Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar. Then we come back to our own depraved world as we examine a slick and fictitious jaunt into the very real world of elder guardianship abuse, starring a wicked lead turn from Rosamund Pike in the tonally uneven I Care a Lot. (55:21).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar): 6/10 (Daniel), 7.5/10 (Glenn)
FilmWonk rating (I Care a Lot): 5 out of 10
- [01:23] Review: Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar
- [20:24] Review: I Care a Lot
- [39:11] Spoilers: I Care a Lot
- In our discussion of I Care a Lot, we referenced the following:
- An October 2017 article from The New Yorker magazine, “How The Elderly Lose Their Rights” by Rachel Aviv
- A 2019 documentary film, The Guardians (dir. Billie Mintz), which you can stream for free on IMDbTV as of this writing.
- The New York Times Presents documentary episode called “Framing Britney Spears“, now streaming on Hulu. #FreeBritney
Listen above, or download: Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, I Care a Lot (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play)