[CW: This episode contains discussion of sexual violence.]
On this week’s podcast, Glenn and Daniel (with special guest Erika Spoden) are a bit more playful than usual. That’s to say, we’re reviewing a play – specifically, the National Theatre of Great Britain’s 2011 performance of Frankenstein, adapted for the stage by Nick Dear, and directed by Danny Boyle, as recently made available on YouTube for free (you can donate to NT here!), and starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the Creature (as there were two cast versions available!). Then we venture down to Guatemala for a revenge thriller from the SXSW collection on Amazon Prime, Gunpowder Heart from director Camila Urrutia. And finally, we check out a new tale of small-town corruption from HBO Films, Bad Education (01:33:30).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (NT: Frankenstein): 8/10 (Glenn, Daniel), 9/10 (Erika)
FilmWonk rating (Gunpowder Heart): 6.5/10 (Daniel), 7/10 (Glenn, Erika)
FilmWonk rating (Bad Education): 8.5/10 (Glenn, Erika), 8/10 (Daniel)
- [00:00:30] Review: National Theatre Live presents: Frankenstein
- [00:24:06] Review: Gunpowder Heart
- [00:37:44] Spoilers: Gunpowder Heart
- [00:54:19] Review: Bad Education
- [01:11:58] Spoilers: Bad Education
- Music for this episode was working in the lab, late one night.
- Check out Lisa Liebman‘s article in Vulture about the real people behind then story of Bad Education.
Listen above, or download: NT Live: Frankenstein, Gunpowder Heart, Bad Education (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play)
Pingback: 2020 Glennies (Top 10 Films of 2020) | FilmWonk