In this week’s podcast, Glenn and Daniel return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which veers further into monsters and magic than ever before. We weigh in on wizard battles, the whitewashing controversy, and the film’s surprising appeal in 3D (38:29).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating: 8 out of 10
- Music for this episode is the track “Sanctimonious Sanctum Sacking” from the film’s score by Michael Giacchino.
- I stand by my comment that this film feels like it was made for 3D, but like all Marvel Studios films, it was shot in 2D and upconverted. Nonetheless, we still recommend seeing this one in 3D. It is far and away one of the best upconversions we’ve seen since the 2012 re-release of James Cameron‘s Titanic.
- You can read the complete interview with Scott Derrickson by Jen Yamato from The Daily Beast here.
- Hear our extended thoughts on Mads Mikkelsen here.
- The ruler of the Dark Dimension is actually named Dormammu (we mispronounced it several ways), and it was voiced (and mo-capped) by Cumberbatch himself!
Listen above, or download: Doctor Strange (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play on a non-flash browser)