This week on the podcast, Glenn and Daniel screen a subpar Sex Tape from director Jake Kasdan, and a cast they usually enjoy, including Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel, and Rob Lowe. What went so horribly, tragically, erotically wrong with this film? Tune in below – and then stay tuned as we’re joined by FilmWonk’s senior Obscure Film Correspondent, Rebekah O’Brien, who joins us to review The Purge: Anarchy (53:58).
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Sex Tape): 2 out of 10
FilmWonk rating (The Purge: Anarchy): 7/10 (Daniel and Rebekah), 5/10 (Glenn)
- (01:57): Sex Tape
- (14:30): Spoilers for Sex Tape
- (23:35): The Purge: Anarchy
- (37:47): Spoilers for The Purge: Anarchy
- Music for tonight’s episode is the track “Turn It Up” by Ruba, from the Sex Tape soundtrack, and the track “Drink” by Alestorm, which is not on either movie’s soundtrack, but feels anarchy-appropriate.
- We made a reference to the Streisand effect, a phenomenon whereby an attempt to censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of making that information more widely publicized. Read up on it via the link above.
- Penile fracture (NSFW, graphic image) is a real thing.
- Daniel referred to Frédéric Bastiat‘s “Parable of the broken window“.
- Update: Gizmodo just posted an amusing article about how to get your sex tape off the internet, including via a DMCA takedown notice as we discussed on the podcast.
Listen above, or download: Sex Tape, The Purge: Anarchy (right-click, save as, or click/tap to play on a non-flash browser)