As SIFF continues, Glenn and Daniel check out the highly anticipated time travel comedy Safety Not Guaranteed, which comes home to Seattle along with much of its cast and crew. Then they jump out of their seats and run to the next auditorium to pose as film critics in a packed screening of Bart Layton‘s utterly fascinating documentary/thriller, The Imposter.
May contain NSFW language.
FilmWonk rating (Safety Not Guaranteed): 6/10
FilmWonk rating (The Imposter): 9/10
- (00:00) Review: Safety Not Guaranteed
- (06:45) Spoilers: Safety Not Guaranteed (although we somewhat spoil the Jake Johnson subplot starting at 05:38)
- (13:22) Review: The Imposter
- (19:56) Spoilers: The Imposter
- Correction: I mistakenly refer to Colin Trevorrow as a first-time director. In fact, he has a few prior credits, including this amusing short from 2002.
- For some reason, there’s a vague spoiler for the 7th season finale of House (at 08:12). Thanks for that, Daniel.
- But later, Daniel redeems himself by mentioning the Ninja Kitty video, which is definitely worth watching.
- Nerd quibble: Aragorn decapitated an Uruk-hai, not a Nazgul.
- Unfortunately, there was no trailer available for The Imposter, so we included a brief clip from the SXSW interview with director Bart Layton, available in its entirety here.
- We refer to the Taylor University van crash case, in which a college student named Whitney Cerak was misidentified as another student who died (even mistaken by the victim’s family).
- I was referring to this guy in this movie. Kudos to anyone who got this utterly pointless reference.
Listen above, or download: Safety Not Guaranteed/The Imposter (right-click, save as).
Pingback: 2012 Glennies, Part 1: Best Picture (Top 10 Films of 2012) | FilmWonk
Pingback: FilmWonk Podcast – Episode #71 – “True Story” (dir. Rupert Goold) | FilmWonk
Pingback: FilmWonk Podcast – Episode #108 – “Keep Quiet” (dir. Joseph Martin, Sam Blair) (#SJFF2017) | FilmWonk
Pingback: 2017 Glennies (Top 10 Films of 2017) | FilmWonk
Pingback: FilmWonk Podcast – Episode #133 – “American Animals” (dir. Bart Layton), “The Bold, The Corrupt, and the Beautiful” (dir. Yang Ya-che) (SIFF) | FilmWonk